Updated: May 28, 2021
So as I sat in my nail technicians chair with plastic sacs of paraffin wax, I asked… “Has it been busy today?” “Today, no", she responded, "But yesterday was very busy and people spent lots of money. Probably because they got their tax return. Since COVID many people have been on a budget.” I nodded my head in agreement.
I think back to how different this was from a year ago when hubbae and I had tickets to see Jilly from Philly for date night. April 18th to be exact, but COVID shut it all the way down too!!! And instead of living my life like its golden, I’ve been living my life like its frugal.
The cost of dating can really take its toll on your bank account. Maybe you can barely afford to pay for your own fancy dinner and a movie; how are you going to pay for two? I’m not eeeven going to tell you what those Jill Scott set us back. In most cases, women have it a little easier regarding the cost of a date. So for once, it's all about you, fellas!
Try these ideas to make her feel special and keep more of your money in your pocket:
1. It Doesn't Matter Where You Take Her. That doesn't mean you can take her to the junkyard to pick car parts in the sweltering heat. But if she genuinely likes you, she'll be happy to be with you. A pizza and a Netflix binge can be as good as anything else.
The only women that would hold it against you are the women that aren't really interested in you for you. In fact, keeping the spending to a minimum is a good way to weed out the women you don’t really want anyway. Cheap dating is actually a brilliant strategy.
2. Have an Inexpensive Restaurant Up Your Sleeve. Every guy should have an economical, but quaint, restaurant he can fall back on. Your city is sure to have a little Italian or other ethnic restaurant that has a lot of charm. If you don't have one yet, go find one.
3. Free Concerts / Festivals. These are perfect. The atmosphere is great, and it's hard to beat the cost. Grab a blanket, fill a mini cooler with wine in a cup and strawberries to make her swoon.
4. The First Date Should Be Quick (and inexpensive). For a first date, meet for coffee. If it goes well, you can make more substantial plans for next time. If it doesn't go well, you're not out more than the cost of a cup of coffee. There's no point in spending a lot of money on someone with whom you're not compatible. Pay attention to what she orders too. It could be a queue for you if it’s a simple latte or grande, caramel macchiato upside with an extra shot. If it’s the latter, you have to splurge at some point.
5. Make Dinner for Her. Not only can you show off your cooking skills, but you can also save a bundle over taking her out to eat. It's a great date. Put on some music and give her something to do, like slicing vegetables. If its Jilly, Anthony Hamilton or KEM on the Spotify playlist--she may never want to go out again.
6. Avoid Turning Dating into a Sport. Some guys feel the need to date as much as possible, almost like it's a hobby. Listen, there are cheaper hobbies out there. Date the women with whom you have at least a reasonable amount of interest. You don't have to date someone just because you can.
7. Have a Budget. Keep tabs on your costs by setting up a monthly dating budget. Include an amount that’s comfortable for you and your finances and stick to it. You can still change it from time to time as you see fit. The most important thing, however, is that you’re now in control of it so your dating costs won’t run amuck with your finances. Seriously fellas, a man who manages his money well is just as sexy as one who fixes things.
8. Skip the Gifts. A decent woman won’t be more attracted to you because you bought her flowers or jewelry. There is a time for that, but it's further along on in the dating process. How you get her is how you keep her. So if you’re keeping up appearances, she is likely to dis-appear sooner or later.
9. Volunteer Together. You get the chance to spend time together while doing something great for others. Sometimes there's free food, too!
Dating doesn't have to be expensive. A little thought, planning, and restraint can save you a lot of money over your dating 'career'. You don't have to spend a lot to impress a good woman. Let the other guys try to buy affection. Go have fun with the girls that look past the money to see what’s most important.
Ladies if you disagree, remember you can always--- DateYourselfGirl!