It’s a new dawn, a new day, a new year and I’m feeling gooooood! The even better news is there are still plenty of fish in the sea.
If you’ve been off the dating scene for a while due to COVID, divorce or just waiting to get your groove back, you might be surprised at what you find. A few things have changed. The same tips you grew up with may not always apply today. Technology, cultural norms, and let’s not forget a pandemic have created a whole new world of dating.
Consider these dating tips that 2020 taught me
Returning phone calls immediately. One of the older dating rules that no longer applies is meeting someone new and making them wait to hear back from you. The rule used to be let them call you first or deliberately wait 48 hours or longer to get back to the person who called you.
· This is an old-fashioned rule that has definitely changed.
· You don’t have to wait for 48 hours or 72 hours before you let the other person know you’re interested or not interested. This type of advice doesn’t apply because let’s face it, the modern world makes it easier to track a person and see why they aren’t responding.
·If you’re ignoring a phone call but have time to post on Facebook, then it’s easy to destroy a potential relationship. The other person can see your posts on social media. They may feel you are playing games and trying to manipulate the communication, and thus begins to breakdown trust before you even get started.
1. Dating during the week. Traditionally, dating usually occurred on the weekends. This is very old school. By forcing the couple to date on the weekends, the parents could control the situation easier and chaperone them. We are not our parents.
· Nowadays, you can more easily pick a schedule that fits both of your needs and date on the weekdays. You don’t have to stick to old-fashioned ideas about weekends.
2. Social media. Today’s dating world is shaped by social media and online dating websites. “We met online”, is no longer taboo and with COVID how else were you going to meet a quarantine bae? However, this has created new opportunities and challenges for all the single ladies and dating community as a whole. It’s important not to ignore the role of social media while you date.
· Social media can reveal information about your potential mate and their friends. You may also see photos and posts about their family and exes.
· Social media can also help you keep in touch when you’re away from each other.
· Social media can help you connect with new people too. However, this creates both opportunities and temptations. It’s still a crazy world out here. Always be aware of scam artists and other fraud online. These thieves even show up in your social media accounts so be careful of stories that may reveal passwords and answers to security questions.
3. Dressing up for dates. Remember when people used to dress up to go to the airport? That was so cool, but today’s society is way more casual at work, at home, and on dates. You don’t have to wear a suit or fancy dress to every date. Although you can dress up for certain events such as nice dinners or operas, you’re not obligated to wear your nicest clothes at all times.
· Showing your casual side is normal and can help you connect with the other person.
4. Expecting gifts. Previous generations expected that the man would bring small gifts such as flowers, perfume, or chocolates on the first date. Today’s modern world doesn’t put these old-fashioned expectations on couples. This is one change that reduces the stress on a beginning relationship.
· You’re not obligated to buy gifts for a person that you just started dating. Gift giving can be reserved for holidays, birthdays, and other special occasions. Don’t dismiss that Door Dashed chicken soup when potential bae is under the weather could be a nice gesture though.
· Some ladies even like paying for dates from time to time or splurging on a baecation.
The dating world is constantly changing. If you’re trying to find your soul mate, stepping out and keeping up-to-date on new trends can benefit you. Now go fish…and remember to DateYourselfGirl!